Thursday, 26 April 2012

Been a long time huh?

Hey guys, sorry it's been so long since my last post, things have been kind of crazy on my end. To make it up to you, I'll give you not one, not two, but THREE posts, all at once! Or at the very least, in quick succession... I know I'm horrible.
So this first post shall be about my journey from England to Botswana.
It turned out to be quite a considerable journey - four hours by coach from Birmingham to Heathrow, then flying to Nairobi in Kenya, then to Zimbabwe, and then to Botswana. Four countries in forty eight hours - not bad eh? The stopover in Nairobi was only 50 minutes, which was cutting it a bit fine so I knew I'd have to run to make my connection... which was why I wasn't thrilled when the plane from Heathrow got delayed by 45 minutes before we even left the ground. Since the planes from Nairobi to Zimbabwe only fly twice a week I was resigned to spending three days camping out in Kenya, battling with the airline to get accommodation.
But wait! The connecting plane is still waiting for me, run to go get it! I ran to go get it. I got it. It was good.
To be honest part of me was kind of disappointed I didn't get to have a little African adventure but I figured hey, I'm going to Africa, there's plenty of time for it!
But after the massive journey, which turned out to be longer than going from Sydney to London, I was very relieved to get to Gabs (Gaborone, the capital of Botswana). I have some close family here and it was great to stay with my aunt and uncle - which was why it came as a bit as soon as I woke up to find out I'd been booked to fly to Zimbabwe the very next day! So after a grand total of 28 hours in Botswana, I flew to Francistown, then got driven back to my city of birth - Bulawayo!
Don't be fooled though - my journey wasn't over yet. I'd gone to Zims to meet up with a couple of childhood friends of mine and head off to Victoria falls - the widest waterfalls on Earth! Exciting stuff eh? Well I'm afraid my laptop battery's about to die - so stay tuned to KDUK12 (now redundantly named) for more exciting installments! Wooo!

No comments:

Post a Comment